8.1.09

Letting the nature take its course...or fighting till the end against all odds?

I did not sleep much either today, and I should have updated blog before but I just did not have time.

Ulla gave birth to the 5 kittens. First one,Horton and a little girl, had a hard labour, both born tails first. The little girl came with one leg out too, she was all purple when we managed to help Ulla deliver her.

It was unusual experience, with every labour she was sliding out and after cdontraction she would slide back in. We had luch that the other leg was close and on one contraction a top of the feet peeked out...next one I managed to hold her from sliding back in and soon she was born.
Her little legs were purple, I was so glad I had carbo vegetalis close...a drop to the gums and she soon started breathing normally and regaining healthy colour. Maybe she would even without carbo...but I am gald I had it handy. It felt like a friendly hug in the time of crisis.

Horton was doing so well at the beginning, and last night he started fading. He had a smelly poo, and gasses, and wsa berathing heavily.
From his labour which was extermely dificult, I would say he swallowed meconium and probably inhaled some fluids too, although I freed him from the sack, dried his mouth and aspirated inc ase there was any water left in his breathing path.
Something in him was leaving crackling sounds, I could not determine whether it was his lungs or his bowels.
We managed to lift him up at evening, with glucose given s.c., homeopathy and a bit of milk, when I left them to get some sleep he was mixed with others. When i got up, I found him behind Ulla on the coldest part of the whelping box, with his little tail dirty from pooh. She did not try to clean him. I warmed him up, and returned close to her, she was licking him and moved him even closer.
But there is nothing that could have been done for him...it was hard watching him fade, and it was hard taking him from her, as she was not willing to let him go.


I felt so sad, I cried a lot since last night...I wanted to save him, I did all I could do with the knowledge I have, I called Ulla's breeder, wrote emails asking for advice...and then it just occured to me.
We humans think or like to think we are able to change the nature's way, there is this feeling of being a bit almighty, and wanting to do good, wanting to rescue, to help...but sometimes, it seems that it is essential to realise all that can be done is letting the nature take its course.

Seems that breeding is a practical zen master course, I am just not sure I am spiritually at the level to follow it...as I am still trying to save any starfish at the beach, and feeling like I failed if I cannot.

But in the end, I think breeding is not in helping any kitten that is born to the maturity. It should be about the survival of the fittest, whether it comes to the improvement of the breed, or to raising a pet for a loving home...

It is sad that Horton passed away. He was just a perfect boy, from his funny strong temper, to the perfection of his pattern, but seeing it from another perspective, it was easier to tell him goodbye now, than in couple of weeks, or struggling to keep him alive just to raise him to a short life of weak health that would bring misery to his new owners.

One of the reasons I have chosen an ocicat, was breed's reputation of being a healthy and long living. I was tired of saying goodbyes, and I wanted a cat that will stay with me to the late of its teens, or longer.

I want the new parents of our babies to have the same. So it seems I am on a zen course, but I am just a beginner, so please do not judge me too hard for crying when mother Nature takes its course.

Now excuse me, I need to wipe my eyes and go feed Ulla and scale the babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment